The “Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e do Porto” – IVDP is an interprofessional public institute in which the boundary between its public and private roles is assured by the way that the respective responsibilities of the Administration and the Interprofessional Council have been allocated.
The Peso da Regua based IVDP is responsible for monitoring the quality and quantity of the Porto and Douro wines by regulating the production process and by protecting and defending the Appellations of Origin – Porto and Douro – and the Geographical Indication Duriense.
Its missions are to:
- Provide strategic directions and implement the wine policy set for the demarcated region of Douro (RDD)
- Promote the convergence of interests in production and trade, by defending the RDD
- Optimize the control and the monitoring of the RDD wines production and sales.
- Promote and defend the Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indication of the RDDand other wines and products – produced, developed and went through the RDD
- Be in charge of the investigations for administrative offenses and enforce the sanctions under its jurisdiction
- Spread the best practices: wine growing and new technologies
- Global Production in the Douro Region (RDD) : 249 343 pipas (a pipa = 550 litres)
- RDD represents 25% of the Portuguese global wine production
- Commercialization of GIs and DOs in RDD : a turnover of € 473.4 million in 2008
- Export value (RDD’s DOs) : more than 80% of the global wine export in Portugal and 88% of the value