Confederazione Nazionale dei Consorzi Volontari per la Tutela delle Denominazioni di Origine Italiane
The “Confederazione Nazionale dei Consorzi Volontari per la Tutela delle Denominazioni Italiane di Origine” –FEDERDOC, founded in 1979, aims at protecting and promoting Italian wines with an Appellation of Origin or Geographical Indication known as Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG), Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) and Indicazione Typica Geografica (IGT).
Today, the FEDERDOC represents 90 Consorzi that is. 90% of Italian Consorzi and 85% of the national origin wine production. The FEDERDOC is the only legitimate wine inter-branch organization in Italy, representing producers, cooperatives and traders in the sector.
FEDERDOC’ role is to define common strategies to preserve, protect and promote the Italian Appellations of Origin at national, European and international levels.
- Legal Assistance to the «Consorzi di Tutela»
- Promotion and enhancement of the image of Italian Appellations of Origin
- Research and studies
- Optimize the management and the control of Italian Appellation of Origin wines – action delegated by the Italian authorities, under their supervision and in coordination with relevant ministries and regional bodies
- Technical and operational support for the definition of the Italian Appellation of Origin wines’ specifications
- Annual production = 30 million litres
- Global DOC and DOCG wine consumption = more than € 600 million
- DOC and DOCG wine export + Sparkling wines = a turnover of € 1.7 billion in 2006